Saturday, August 9, 2008

What Kind of Wilderness?


Praying this finds you well and resting in the truth of God's love and comfort. I had the opportunity to speak to a very wise woman today. She's a therapist/consultant that contacted me when she heard me on the radio and we scheduled a phone chat today.

We were discussing 'life' and she raised the question "when you think of wilderness what do you envision? A desert, jungle, etc.......honestly, when I think of a wilderness, my thoughts gravitate toward the desert. As I thought about her question, I realized that my 'thinking' was locked in a singular perception. Biblical wilderness, in my mind, has been associated with a desert; dryness, thirst, long stretches of 'spiritual dehydration'. Sorry, don't want to sound melodramtic - it's just where my head is at concerning this subject.

So, what do you think of when you hear the word, "wilderness"? I'd be interested in your perception.

Peace be with you, on you and through you. In Christ Jesus - Be blessed.

1 comment:

Firefly said...

Several years ago I spent a week in the wilderness on Lake Oba, in Ontario, Canada and found it to be peaceful, serene and gorgeous in the colors of nature. White sand, pink rocks, tall green pine trees and intensely brilliant blue skies reflected onto the lake. As I sat in the front of a fishing boat one afternoon, the song "How Great Thou Art" played in my thoughts. The wilderness is not dry to me, but a place of refreshment and rejuvenation. Thanks for asking.